How To Figure Out Your Rising Sign (or Ascendant Sign)
If you know your approximate hour & minute of birth, you can use the Table below to GUESS your Rising Sign. Your true Rising Sign (also called the "Ascendant Sign" or "Sign on the Ascendant") will most likely be THIS sign - unless the time you used is not your REAL time of birth.
You can TEST this by looking up the typical TRAITS and TENDENCIES of that Rising Sign to see if they match YOUR Rising Sign traits and tendencies better than any other Sign. If you don't have a good astrology book about Rising Signs or The Ascendant, you can use the traits listed in any of the many books about Sun Signs - IF you compare them to HOW YOU APPEAR ON THE SURFACE - and NOT "deep down inside" (unless your Sun Sign and Rising Sign are the same Sign, which only occurs if you are born close to the local time of Sunrise).
On each of the Free Daily Horoscope pages for each Sun Sign you can read about some of the traits of the particular Sun Sign (below the daily forecast). You can look up yours by clicking the black banner at the top of this page, or by clicking on the Sign(s) you located in the Table below. You can also type this URL into your web browser: http://www.AstrologyZine.com/daily-horoscopes.shtml
There are likely some more Sun Sign traits on the "Celebrities List" page, which you can access by clicking on the "__(your Sun Sign)__ Celebrities List" link below the Daily Horoscope for each Sun Sign.
IF you think very few of those typical traits of your true Sun Sign actually match the Rising Sign you determined from the Rising Sign Table, don't worry! The time periods used in the Table are only approximate, so the TIME you used might have placed the actual degree of your Rising Sign close to the CUSP (border line) of the next or previous Sign. Or your estimated birth time might be a little off the REAL time of birth. So the Rising Sign BEFORE or AFTER the one you determined WILL be your true Rising Sign, because any small errors in Time might move your Ascendant somewhat, but it would have to be wrong by about two hours for it to be outside all three Signs. You should he able to tell which Sign seems right, because the two adjacent Signs are quite DIFFERENT from the middle Sign.
Read the explanation at the bottom of the Table if you just can't seem to match the Sun Sign traits for the calculated Rising Sign to what you believe are your actual traits. But get two or three opinions from friends or family first! You may not really be aware of how people see you when they first meet you, or how they are seeing you when you are putting on your usual "act" or expressing your personal "style". It may be different than you thought, and their insights might be helpful to you in understanding yourself better.
Before starting, you will need to understand these things:
(1) Your Sun Sign is like your CHARACTER or Sense of Self or Life Purpose, and each of these does NOT necessarily reveal itself as an outer personality trait to someone who is meeting you for the first time. Your CHARACTER influences the CHOICES you make in Life, which leads to the saying "Character is Destiny." Your Sun Sign may show in some ways such as intravert/extravert or high/low energy, but your Rising Sign traits may show more strongly and hide the Sun Sign traits.
(2) Your Moon Sign is like your FEELINGS or Emotional Style - and also Sense of Security (how you seek to FEEL safe and COMFORTABLE). Some of these Moon Sign traits MAY appear in how you react emotionally to someone you meet, and a common example is how you do or do not "feel comfortable" with this new person. The Moon is all about EMOTIONS, and some people hide or suppress their emotions. They often come out when stressed or threatened, however; and your initial "emotional reaction" to will be like the traits of your Moon Sign. When seriously stressed or threatened, the reaction will then be like the defensive traits of your Sun Sign. Beware of stressed-out Rams, Bulls, Lions, Scorpions, Centaurs, and Goats!
(3) Your Rising Sign is like your STYLE and MANNERISMS and APPEARANCE. It is your Persona, your "Act", your "outer personality". It is the "first impression" you create when someone meets you for the first time. It is more how you ACT than how you really ARE.
(4) The personality or style you APPEAR to exhibit to someone who just met you is exactly what your Rising Sign describes! And although you and a lot of other people don't realize it, or resist accepting the truth of it, your Rising Sign ALSO indicates HOW YOU WANT TO APPEAR to people you meet. This may be very different than the typical traits of your SUN SIGN which you already know. This can be VERY VERY different if you were born near Midnight or Noon.
(5) The chance that anyone's Rising Sign is the SAME as their Sun Sign is only one in twelve; so unless you were born quite close to the time of SUNRISE at your place of birth you must realize this: What they SEE is NOT what you REALLY ARE!
(6) IF you were born close enough to Sunrise, then your Rising Sign and Sun Sign are the SAME (and you are, for example, "a double Aries person" not just "an Aries Sun Sign person"). Then "What they SEE is what you ARE!"
But if your ACTUAL time of birth is too close to the beginning or end of the time periods shown in the Table below, your TRUE Rising Sign MIGHT be one of the two other Signs closest to your birth time in the Table - the one before, OR the one after.
Don't worry! YOU CAN TELL which of the three is your true Rising Sign (also called "Ascending Sign") because:
(1) Your Rising Sign indicates "how you FIRST APPEAR to people you meet in person" (or already know), and also "how you WISH to appear to people you meet"; and
(2) The "how you appear" traits are quite OBVIOUS, so you can ask friends and aquaintances to choose which set of traits best describes how you appeared to them when they met you (and you can use the typical traits for that particular Sign as your quide); and
(3) Each of these three signs will be VERY DIFFERENT, which makes it easy to choose which set of traits is most true about you.
Use LOCAL TIME (where you were born) and if "Daylight Savings Time" or "War Time" was in effect on your birthday, then SUBTRACT ONE HOUR from your birth time BEFORE you use this table. (Check an archive of your birth town newspaper on your birth day/month/year to check for D.S.T. or W.T.)
First, look DOWN the time column at left to find the 2-hour period which includes your time of birth. Then look ACROSS the colored top row of Sun Signs to find your own Sign. Finally, look DOWN your Sun Sign column to that row which contains your birth time. The Sign in that box is your estimated Rising Sign (also called your ascendant sign). Click on it to read today's horoscope for that Sign.
This table assumes the time of Sunrise is exactly 6 am. It isn't, but it's close enough to make this table simple to use while still working well enough to estimate your Rising Sign. If you know what time Sunrise actually occurs at your birth place on your birthday - it may be shown in your home-town newspaper on your date of birth - then you can adjust all the 2-hour time periods to get more accuracy. For example, if Sunrise happens at 6:55 am, add :55 to each of the listed times and THEN see which period contains your birth time, e.g. 4am-6am changes to 4:55 am - 6:55 am.
The true Rising Sign MIGHT be the one closest to the "estimated" Sign (above or below, whichever TIME period is closer to your birth time). Adjacent Rising Signs appear very different, and since they indicate how people see you on first impression, you can relate traits you obviously display in your "style" to traits of the true Rising Sign. Choose which one is "MOST like you". THAT ONE is your Rising Sign. Click for
What If The Traits of This Rising Sign Don't Seem Right To Me? |
What Is My Rising Sign? |
What Are Rising Sign Traits? ©2001,2014 by
Scroll down to view the TABLE OF RISING SIGNS...